Wednesday 4 May 2011

Hitting the outdoors

Hello,

Well is has been quite the week for me, even though I am writing this on a Wednesday. My weeks do not start on a Monday these days; they roll into each other and it is hard to sometimes distinguish what day is what and where it is on the calendar! I now go by how many weeks since I had surgery, and we are up to 7. My, does the time go by rather slowly. It might seem quick to others, that I only had surgery almost 2 months ago, which to some, it might seem like time has gone by rather quick. To me, not so much. My days are long, and yet not long enough. I keep busy with ICU research and shortly will be working full time, which is excellent as I am sick of living like a poor student. The day I can afford a haircut I will cry tears of happiness. The day I can get waxed and not have to resort to the "cheap" version, which is myself completing this rather difficult and daunting task, I will yelp in joy. 

Anyway, I hit the indoor climbing gym 3 times last week, as well as venturing outside with Kev and Mary to Chuk Chuk, a lovely crag put up a few years ago by a dude called Axel...wicked name, wicked climbs. But onto that shortly. I wanted to say that I have semi lied to you all....In the last blog entry I had stated that when I am climbing indoors I will stick to 5.9-10A routes...LIE! I have hit the 10C/D routes and am super surprised that I have strength! But only arm strength, but core and finger strength! My fingers hurt like hell typing this out due to hanging on to really teeny tiny holds and I am utterly amazed that I have this. Especially due to the fact that prior to this injury I had maybe hit 1 or 2 10Ds and today I climbed 3 and was able to pull through with minimum difficulty. Even Kevin was dumbfounded: 
"where the hell did you get this extra strength from?"
*me looking stunned* "duno!"


Maybe having a 4 month break from climbing was worth it. I have come back to the wall and have a new appreciation for movement, for the way you position your body on holds, and the amount of trust you can put on your body to just hang out. I feel smooth when climbing; I feel quiet...shhhh, let's not lose this!! 


So this girl is happy; Tired, and wishing she was more of a super human, but happy.

Chuk Chuk; up logging road, passed mile 25, Squamish Valley Road
Top rope haven
Scuffed up brace!
Ok, check out that hold that Kevin is about to grab...we call that one "pinchy!"
Mary and her happy high stepping thanks to yoga!

Am off for another physio catch up tomorrow and for one last visit to the surgeon's office on Friday. I can predict how this meeting will go:
"hey, you look great, how do you feel?
"am awesome, back biking, no worries"

"any questions?"
"nope"
"ok bye, good luck"
"thanks"

I guarantee that will be it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment